Monday, August 15, 2011

She is here!





Brynn Elizabeth Watts is here! She was born on 8/12/11 at 8:09am. They didn't get a chance to actually weigh her or measure her since there was so much going on but the rough estimate is 7 lb 11oz and 19 inches long.

It was a very scary morning for all of us. We arrived at the hospital at 6am and they immediately started prepping me for surgery. I received a HUGE IV since they delivered me in the regular OR (not maternity OR) which was really painful. They told us that due to the venue change Tony might not be able to attend the birth. Luckily, the head of anesthesiology approved of Tony being present. Tony looked so cute in his scrubs!

We kissed our families goodbye and they wheeled me down on the gurney. The epidural was painful and scary. It didn't help that we were in a large sterile room with over 40 people setting up and getting ready. Seriously, not exaggerating. Forty people. Even more people stood watching outside. My OB put the drape up and begin the procedure. I couldn't feel anything but the anxiety and anticipation of what might happen when they pulled her out was multiplied by the room of people all wondering the same thing.

The OB announced she was going to make the uterine cut and I swear everyone held their breath. Except for Brynn! She let out a loud and beautiful cry as she came into the world. Tony and I were not expecting her to cry since they had prepared us for a very blue and silent baby. It was the most amazing sound I have ever heard.

The team began to work on her immediately. We could hear them shout out her numbers and stats. Brynn's stats started in the 80's but then quickly began to drop. They had her on 100% oxygen but her blood gas was still very poor (she wasn't getting rid of carbon dioxide in her blood stream). The doctors let Tony run over and take a picture so we could see her. As they told us they would, they waited a few minutes but then decided they needed to take her to the OR since it was looking like they would need to do surgery right away.

They stitched me up and took me back to recovery. I could not stop shaking from the epidural and the itching that it causes is horrible. I was pretty miserable. Doctors from the heart team came in to tell us that Brynn was in surgery and that things were looking good. We didn't hear anything for another three hours. By then our anxiety was through the roof. The surgeon finally came in with a huge smile on his face to tell us they had put in the shunt and that surgery had gone very well. Thank God!

Brynn has now been in the CVICU since Friday afternoon. Tony and I were able to see her about an hour after surgery. She is so beautiful. She has a head full of red hair and the sweetest little face. I can't wait till I can pick her up and hold her. Her strength and persistence is amazing. Brynn continues to make very slow progress. Her blood pressure, pulse, heart rate, oxygen stats, and blood gases have been stable overall. However, they have all been too high or too low at some point over the last few days. Brynn has been pretty swollen from the surgery and as a result her kidney function has not been the best. Last night they gave her lasix which helped her to finally pee off some of the fluid and inserted a catheter to drain out some fluid in her belly. She has four IV's and is receiving more medicine then I can keep track of. They feel she is a little sicker then other babies in the same boat but overall they are pleased that she continues to make progress.

The nurse told us we can expect to be here for 6-8 weeks. I get discharged tomorrow. *Sniff* I hate the idea of having to leave without my baby but I know I need to get as much rest as I can to take care of her. Tony goes frequently to the CVICU but it is a little harder for me since I am still in a wheelchair and in a lot of pain.

Overall we are all doing pretty stinking well. I feel so incredibly lucky and blessed beyond words that Brynn is here and stable. The nurses and doctors have been incredible. Our family and friends have been a non-stop source of support. Thank you so much to everyone for all of your well wishes, prayers, positive thoughts, and good energy. I could literally feel the positivity all day on Friday and I think it directly affected how well Brynn is doing and the progress she continues to make. I continue to read and re-read the comments and posts for inspiration and comfort. Thank you!

Just a warning, some of the pictures might be a little disturbing to look at (me after a C-section is not a pretty picture). :) Oh yeah, and the one's of Brynn might be difficult to look at but just remember that she is not is any pain.


1 comment:

  1. Erin, you look beautiful always and Brynn is gorgeous with all that hair. I am sure she will continue to progress and become the healthy baby God intended her to be. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Marcy

    ReplyDelete